Monday, July 19, 2010

Monday Update

It's Monday!  I hope everyone had a great weekend!  I know I didn't post anything for Saturday Fun Time, but I had to bake bread that day and let me tell you, it's a whole day affair.

Bake bread, you say??  Yes, I make practically everything from scratch because well, it's cheaper.  A lot cheaper.  And when your family lives on one income, you have to find ways to save money.

But today's post is about my progress on Aurumenas!

Editing is moving right along.  I've gotten about a quarter of the way through with my beta and I'll be working on the last few scenes of the book today.

There's something so sad about working on the last scene, though.  I'll by no means be done with editing, but working on your MC's last words is a little like saying goodbye.  I've been with these characters for almost two years now and knowing that my time with them is coming to an end is kind of sad.  Oh, I know that if this story does get picked up by an agent and then a publisher, I'll still be spending lots of time with my characters, but unless I get a multi-book deal, this will be as far as their stories go.  I'll know what became of them in an abstract way, but no one else will.

Do any of you get a little sad when working on the last scene of your WIP?  And speaking of your WIPs, how's the progress going?  Share!


~Emily White

7 comments:

  1. well, with my WIP, i know there is more story after "the end". ends are really only the beginning of something new. so, just for fun, i started writing the next bit of the story. not everything we write needs to be done with publication in view. just a thought if you miss N and Meir too much...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do get sad on my last scene. Happy, that I've made it that far, but sad too. Even if I know there's more, and even if I'm writing a sequel, I'm still just a little sad to see this particular story go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was actually super excited when I finished my first draft - having no idea how much revision I was in for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally. I felt like crying when I finished my draft the other day. Partially with relief at being done, but mostly with "OMG I can't believe it's all out there now."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vic--I don't know if writing a little more just for fun would help me. I'd probably end up writing a whole new book and that ending would get me all sad. It's a vicious, vicious cycle.

    Shallee--Yes! That's exactly how I feel.

    Matthew--I will admit that I was ecstatic for the first five minutes after I finished my rewrites, but completely depressed the whole night after. Working on the scenes again is bringing back those feelings.

    Maybe--Yay for you! I'm so happy that you finished! And yes, I know how you feel. All those little details are all out there for people to read and hopefully enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's sort of like going to summer camp. You have a blast with your characters for a few months and then have to say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wouldn't know cause I haven't gotten there yet with any of my projects. But I imagine I'll be sad when I finish Meridia finally. Either that or incredibly relieved that it's done at last.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments! Oh, how I do love them! :D