Thursday, June 24, 2010

A Little Tease

I know I'm supposed to be talking about myself today because it's technically my About Me day, but honestly, there's not a whole lot of interesting things about me to include every week. I'm a rather boring person when you get right down to it. So I'm at a loss today.

Instead, I've decided to post the first page of my new WIP, Hansel and Gretel. Obviously this is a rough draft, so be warned.

If there was anything more depressing than leaving white sandy beaches against a crystal blue ocean for the boondock plains of Hansel Valley, Utah, I didn’t know it. After saying goodbye to all my friends and boarding a plane for Salt Lake City, I didn’t think it could get any worse. And then my dad declared he wanted to take the scenic route around the lake to our new home. Like I wanted to be stuck in a car for god knows how long with my mom and sister jabbering away at what a great opportunity this was for all of us.


Great opportunity for them maybe, but I’d long ago stopped counting in my family. Dad was the successful photographer, mom the flighty homemaker who decided each year she was going to start working outside the home only to quit a few weeks later (that she even got the gig with Gretel Industries International was a miracle), and my younger sister Jane, the genius. Literally. She was one of those superkids who could read at two and had the multiplication table memorized at three. I was still slurring through my ABC’s at four. In any other family, that would have been pretty good. In my family, it meant you’re a retard. Sorry, mentally challenged. The “R” word was forbidden in our house.




5 comments:

  1. very cute! sounds like you have a good start.
    btw i can already empathize with your mc. my big brother read robinson crusoe when he was two (with a little help from mom)... i still haven't read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arrg! You tantalizing woman, tormenting me with sneaky tales that make me want keep reading. (I liked it. Hehe.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. aspiring-x--Well thank you very much! And wow, that's amazing. I am thoroughly impressed.

    Jaleh--:D You always make me feel so good! By the way, I'm craving some zombies. Hurry up and finish! :D :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha. I'll get back to it at some point. I've been alternating Meridia with a modern fantasy story. Maybe I'll see if I can throw together a scene in zombies for you on Monday or Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice Emily! Intriguing premise and I'm eager to see how this plays out. Keep writing! :)

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments! Oh, how I do love them! :D