Sunday, January 31, 2010

A New Direction

You may have noticed that I took a bit of time off for a while. I'm sorry to say that I certainly was not keeping up with my three posts a week. The reason was because I needed a break. I had hit a point with Aurumenas where I realized that I was too focused on getting all of my editing done in a month instead of making sure that the editing I was doing was good, or complete. Suffice it to say, I came to the conclusion that there was a lot to the story that I was just failing to put on paper. I'll admit it, I'm a light writer. I am NOT one of those people out there who over-write and then have to slash their novel to bits, eliminating unneeded melodrama. I usually visualize writing as a chess game; every move must count. But sadly, there were some moves that I just failed to use that would have made the novel as a whole really shine.

So, I'm going back over it and adding scenes. My worlds need a chance to grow and move the reader. These details have always been in my head, but I didn't quite realize that they weren't in the book. I assure you that I have plenty of room. The finished product (before my revelation) had under 70,000 words. Like I said, a light writer (especially when you consider most fantasy/sci-fi novels have over 200,000 words and publishers allow new writers around 100,000).

There are some other issues that I plan on working on in the book, but I want to save those for a future blog post. But I also wanted to mention that I have a new story idea in the works that I plan on actually posting on here in one page installments. So look for it every Monday.

And finally, I'm always interested in helping my fellow writers out there. If you have a blog that you want to advertise, email me with a blog post containing the kind of content that you would put on your own blog, along with a short bio and your website address. Fridays will be reserved just for you!

Thanks for your patience and continued readership! :)

~Emily White


1 comment:

  1. That's okay, Em. Write what you need to. I'll look forward to reading when you're ready to share.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments! Oh, how I do love them! :D